Friday, June 28, 2013

Surgical Appointment

Happy Friday!
(slash Thursday as I have readers on the other side of the world now - go  me!!) LOL

It was a semi big day for me today, I got to meet with my doctor that will be performing my ileostomy surgery, Dr Chow.
It was a relief to meet her, I knew she was a lady before going into the appointment, but all I could picture in my head every time they said Dr Chow was this guy.

Chow from the Hangover films, who is also a doctor in Knocked up.

She is the complete opposite to that guy - fewf! Really friendly, kind and confident, so I feel safe putting my life in her hands.
We talked about the surgery, but she couldn't give me too much information as I haven't been able to have an MRI scan yet, so she cant see whats going on.
She discussed how she would like to give me a temporary ileostomy if possible. This will mean that they leave my colon still chilling out inside me, give it time to heal, so one day we might be able to reconnect that bad boy back up after it gets a good rest. 
I don't think that will happen. I know my body quite well and I think it will be too damaged, but we will wait and see the MRI results. I don't even know how I feel about having a temporary one to be honest. I don't think I like the thought, weird huh? If it's permanent then I have to deal with it, and Ive already got my head around the fact that it will be permanent. If it is temporary I may have to have another surgery down the track to reconnect myself back up, that will be up to me but I don't want to give myself false hope that I might one day get to go back to normal. But like I said, I will be very surprised if that happens. She talked over what would happen with either situation though, what she will do in surgery for which ever one we decide (permanent vs temporary), the recovery time etc

My biggest question was about having children. When I have children, I will have to have a caesarean because of all the complications Crohn's has given me. So i was really worried that having already had a resection on my stomach, and then having another operation with the potential for one down the track that I might not be able to have them. C sections are pretty invasive as is my surgery and they can only operate so many times (3 I think usually for c sections) But providing that every thing goes to plan she is going to perform key hole surgery through my pre existing scars - hooray! So she will be going through my belly button if she can. I may lose my belly button when they stitch me back up, I don't know how i feel about this. It's absolutely pointless having it but I'm going to look weird without it…Then again I'm going to look weird with my poo in a bag next to me too! haha. But yes children will be ok, providing I don't have a tribe. Which is fine by me!

I go back to see Dr Chow on the 19th of July, once the results come back from the MRI scan, which I will be having on the 10th of July. She said her waiting list is around a month but she will pencil me in now, which I thought was great news! Well...until I came out of the appointment and Will and I were like, is she penciling me in a month from now or a month from the 19th…? Either way we are predicting August sometime. Really good to have a time frame!

I still can't  believe how much I am looking forward to the surgery. I know it's going to be dreadful at first but I cant wait to be healthy again!

I had to miss out on my friends leaving party yesterday due to not feeling well. It wasn't even my belly playing up this time. Not eating has given me serious withdrawals, I think my body was cranky at me for not providing it with its usual gluten and sugar so thought, right you shall get a migraine for that! I have to bail on pretty much every night out and even though I can't help it I feel like such a crappy friend! I'm sorry Lika, I will seriously miss you and will try to fly to Samoa ASAP for a visit! 

Well my friends, I shall be off to work now. Some how through this all I still manage to work full time. Probably a contributing factor to not feeling well sometimes, but also what distracts me from being sick at the same time. Catch 22!

Love love love


Holly X

No comments:

Post a Comment